PANCE Prep Plan

My PANCE Prep Plan

I have began with going through all my EORE and PACKRAT score reports and see if there is a pattern on which topics I need to review more. I will jot these topics down and read up on them in PANCE Prep Pearls. The percent allocation for each topic on PANCE will also help me decide which topics need more studying time and which don’t require as much. The four largest topics on the exam are cardiovascular (13%), pulmonary (10%), gastrointestinal system (9%),  and musculoskeletal (8%) I plan on focusing on these broad topics and make sure I know the sub topics. Additionally I know from the past I have trouble with dermatology and hematology, while these topics make up a smaller percentage of the exam, since I know these are my weaknesses I would like to go over all of the subtopics and create exams just on dermatology and hematology questions.

The way I retain information is by handwriting. I have a white board that I used during didactic year. What I do is read on the topic once (what it is, pathophysiology, diagnosis, clinical manifestation, treatment,) and hand write what I remember, then I read the topic another time and write out the parts I left out. This helps me try to recall key bits of information and I tend to remember things that I miss.

I plan on using Rosh mainly for questions and going through Pance Prep Pearls, Amboss and Uptodate on topics and questions I get wrong. I have been doing this for EOREs and it has worked for me. Currently I do 20 Rosh questions a day and increase the number as the EORE approaches, I would like to complete 30 questions a day from Rosh and do 10 Kaplan question 2 months before the PANCE. Then 1 month before my exam I would like to do 50 questions form Rosh and 20 from Kaplan. Including Kaplan in my study plan is important because they have longer questions that are more difficult than Rosh. One reason that Kaplan will not be my main question bank because they don’t have many images like Rosh and I am a visual learner.

The week before my exam I would like to simulate an exam day. I plan to wake up at 7:00 am and take 300 question exams in 5 blocks (60 minutes for each set of 60 questions), with 2-3 minutes break in between (total of 15 minutes for break). This will help me with time management. I plan to do this closer to the exam day because I will be more familiar with content by that time and just be focusing on managing my time. Additionally I’m sure I will have test anxiety and simulating how the exam day will be will help ease my anxiety on the day of the exam.

Week 1 Week 2 Week 3 Week 4 Week 5 Week 6 Week 7 Week 8
Sunday Cardiology GU EENT Renal Psych Review weak topics Cardiology Full practice exam
Monday Cardiology GU DERM Reproductive Male Neuro Review weak topics Cardiology Full practice exam
Tuesday Cardiology GU Heme Reproductive female Neuro Review weak topics Cardiology Full practice exam
Wednesday Pulmonology MSK Infectious disease Reproductive female GU ½ practice exam Pulmonology Full practice exam
Thursday Pulmonology MSK Infectious disease Peds Review weak topics ½ practice exam Pulmonology Full practice exam
 Friday GI/nutrition Endocrine Renal Peds Review weak topics Full practice exam GI/nutrition Rest
Saturday GI/nutrition EENT Renal psych Rest Rest GI/nutrition Exam day

*Every day I plan on doing at least 50 question on the topic for that day