Final Clinical Correlation Reflection

Clinical correlations this semester compared to the first was more challenging. I feel the cases were more complex, sometimes the patients had 2-3 diagnoses. I appreciated the complexity in these cases since they are more relevant to the patients we will encounter during rotations and our future practice. One skill that I think I have learned and I value is making sure I have a reason to order a test/imaging, sometimes it is almost instinctive to say “CBC, CMP,..” but every order should be justified and I learned how to ask myself, “will this assist in diagnosing? Will this change my treatment?” Something that was challenging was getting used to the idea that the case may have 2 diagnoses and I have to start thinking outside of the box. Most case questions and cases from the first semester involved one diagnosis. The skill I feel l still need to work on is interpreting imaging and labs and bringing it all together.

The source I found most helpful was Uptodate. I know it’s a really popular source even in practice. I like that it provides pathophysiology, epidemiology along with presentations, diagnosis and treatment.

I would suggest that this class going forward should incorporate more imaging photos. Where the students interoperate ultrasounds, CTs and MRIs. Only some professors did this but I think it should be implemented for all the professors.

For the future students taking clinical correlations, my advice is “think before you order” (labs and imaging) and “you know more than you think you know, so be confident in the knowledge you have gained so far but be open to learning from your peers.”